Sunday 17 February 2019

Greenhouse versus polytunnel

I'm growing a few things that require warmth and therefore I have been investigating the possibility of getting a greenhouse or a polytunnel. The council would only allow one of these, so a choice has to be made.

Greenhouse - Positives

  • Maintain heat better than polys
  • There is one on the abandoned plot next door free of charge
  • Less likely to fly away in the wind

Greenhouse - Negatives
  • Smaller than polytunnels
  • A greenhouse as large as is allowed on the site would cost too much

Polytunnel - Positives
  • Larger growing area
  • I can possibly construct one from old trampolines
  • I have experience in building polytunnels
Polytunnel - Negatives

  • Plastic  needs changing every few years
  • It's a very windy site

  • So, with there being a greenhouse free for the taking on the next door plot, that makes the decision a really rather easy one. I knew I had to get a move on too, as the site has had several new tenants. Stuff on abandoned plots are up for grabs, first come first served, and I had cleared it with the allotment manager that runs the site. 

    So with that in mind, I went to the plot today and cleared the only space suitable for the greenhouse. I shifted the raised bed there, saved the soil, and pulled up the bindweed and  nettle roots. Two very kind fellas on the plot helped me move the polycarbonate greenhouse. It wasn't very heavy, but there's no way I would've been able to do it myself. 

    Here it is in all its glory!



    There will be a big bed on the left hand side, running up to the blue tub, and of course, I will grow in the ground in the greenhouse.

    Then there's only one area left to sort out - the one the other side of the growtunnel. And I need compost bins... and possibly take on the next plot on the right hand side. It's just grass, no carpets - room for a polytunnel! haha

    1 comment:

    1. Well done ! You,ve done a great job there ! I will be popping in from time to time to see how it's all coming along . It is a very busy time for us all right now in the vegetable garden....the Swallows are swooping about here..I,m listening out for the Cuckoo .....it is such a wonderful time ! Daisy Debs :)

      ReplyDelete